|Please visit our ***NEW*** OBF/BOSC website: https://www.open-bio.org/|
The foundation grew out of the volunteer projects Bioperl, BioJava and Biopython and was formally incorporated in order to handle our modest requirements of hardware ownership, domain name management and funding for conferences and workshops.The Foundation does not participate directly in the development or structure of the open source work, but as the members of the foundation are drawn from the member projects, there is clear commonality of direction and purpose. Occasionally the O|B|F directors may make announcements about our direction or purpose (a recent one was on the licensing of academic software) when the board feels there is a need to clarify matters, but in general we prefer to remain simply the administrative support organization for our member projects.
Our main activities are:
- Underwriting and supporting the BOSC conferences
- Organizing and supporting developer-centric "hackathon" events
- Managing our servers, colocation facilities, bank account & other assets
We are incorporated in the state of Delaware, USA as a not-for-profit company.
See some of the Past BOSC conferences.
Board of Directors
The board can be contacted via email at email@example.com
- Hilmar Lapp
- Representing BioPerl. Employed by Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation.
- Ewan Birney, Past President
- BioPerl core developer. Coordinator of the EBI half of the Ensembl genome annotation project.